Learn MoreAbout Us
The African Rodent Virtual Centre will be hosted by the African Centre of Excellence for Innovative Rodent Pest Management and Biosensor Technology Development (ACE IRPM&BTD) based at Sokoine University of Agriculture (http://www.suanet.ac.tz/) in Tanzania.
The core mission of the ACE IRPM & BTD is to build capacity in rodent research in Eastern and Southern Africa through training of PhD and MSc. candidates, conducting short courses on rodent management and carrying out basic and applied research on rodents. The research will be conducted mainly by the postgraduate students. Both students and faculty exchange will be supported to ensure mobility of brains within the Eastern and Southern Africa region that will facilitate knowledge creation and sharing, technology development and transfer, etc. which is essential for economic growth and poverty alleviation. The African Rodent Virtual Centre will play a pivotal role in sharing of knowledge, technologies adaptation and experience between researchers.
On African RodentsWhat we do
The African Rodent Virtual Centre is a brainchild of the STOPRATS Project implemented in six African countries (http://projects.nri.org/stoprats/) which among its work packages was to establish a multi-stakeholder capacity building platform about African rodents. This work package was led by the Pest Management Centre, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania, but with full and active participation of all project teams which included the following:
2. Prof. Rhodes H. Makundi (http://www.spmc.suanet.ac.tz/index.php/34-staffs-informations/academic-staffs/134-prof-rhodes-h-makundi) from the Pest Management Centre (http://www.spmc.suanet.ac.tz/) of the Sokoine University of Agriculture (http://www.suanet.ac.tz/)
3. Prof. Apia W. Massawe (http://www.spmc.suanet.ac.tz/index.php/34-staffs-informations/academic-staffs/133-prof-apia-w-massawe) from the Pest Management Centre (http://www.spmc.suanet.ac.tz/) of the Sokoine University of Agriculture (http://www.suanet.ac.tz/)
4. Prof. Loth S. Mulungu (http://www.spmc.suanet.ac.tz/index.php/34-staffs-informations/academic-staffs/132-prof-loth-s-mulungu) from the Pest Management Centre (http://www.spmc.suanet.ac.tz/) of the Sokoine University of Agriculture (http://www.suanet.ac.tz/)
7. Prof Ara Monadjem (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the University of Swaziland
8. Dr Themb’a Mahlaba (email@example.com) from the University of Swaziland
9. Dr Seth Eiseb (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the University of Namibia
10. Dr Steve Goodman (email@example.com) from Vahatra, Madagascar
11. Dr Voahangy Soarimalala (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Vahatra, Madagascar
12. Emil von Maltitz (email@example.com) from Agricultural Research Council of South Africa.